Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Mother of the Year - NOT!!


Relief Society use to be during the week in the morning. Once a month we would have a luncheon and we all served on the luncheon committee several times a year. This was always stressful for me since I was not a cook and never had been taught how to cook - even make a salad. One Tuesday it was my turn and I was stressed before I ever got there. I dropped Mike off at his kindergarten (he was 5 yrs old) and when I got to Relief Society put Brent in the nursery (he was 2 years old). We were meeting in the chapel south of Camelback on 56th Street at the time and Mike was attending Mohave Grade School off Granite Reef south of McDonald Drive. Anyway, I'm peeling potatoes - and more potatoes - something even I could do, when I noticed the time. Mike's class had already ended and I hadn't picked him up! I told the other sisters I wouldn't be back (I'd had enough of potato peeling), jumped in my car and raced to Mohave school to pick up Mike, crying the whole way. He was sitting on the classroom step all by himself and feeling very forgotten. I hugged him, etc. took him home and begged his forgiveness. We finally both calmed down and I realized that in my haste I had left Brent at church in the nursery!! I loaded up Mike and, once again, raced to the church, crying the whole way. Brent was very unhappy in the nursery after being told his mom had gone home. It's a wonder these boys weren't scarred for life - I know I never forgot it. This is Mike's kindergarten picture - this was the year they decided he needed glasses. He only wore them the one year, and wouldn't wear them again.

1 comment:

  1. I've never been the same since. All of my hardships can be directly traced to that moment.

    ReplyDelete